Spoil your pooch this weekend or the one you pet sit for with delightfully tasty bacon fat dog treats. Don’t worry, it’s not all bacon fat. The wheat germ included in the treats is high in vitamin B, which promotes immunity, and high in vitamin E, which aids in heart health. Wheat germ is also said to help prevent again certain cancers. Add-ins to the recipe can include parsley, for natural fresh breath or peanut butter for protein. We are sure your pup will love these delicious treats.
Bacon Fat Dog Treats
Makes 2 dozen treats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup melted bacon fat
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix by hand until dough forms. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky. Add more bacon fat or water if the dough is too stiff.
- Roll out onto a floured surface, to a thickness of just under 1/2-inch. Cut into 1×4-inch bars and transfer to a cookie sheet. Poke divots into the bars (I use the end of a chopstick) and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Turn the oven off, flip the bars, and place back in the oven until cool (this will further crisp them).
Treats can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Do you have a recipe that is perfect for pets and want to share? Send it our way to email@example.com and we’ll make you part of our #FeedMeFriday posts. Until next week, Paws Up!