Treat your furry best friend to a tasty, all-natural chicken jerky. Unlike the store-bought jerky with tons of preservatives and a large price tag, this homemade recipe will help you cut costs at the supermarket and keep your pet happy and healthy. For pet sitters and dog walkers, these savory and healthy low cost Chicken Jerky treats are a great gift and an easy way for their pets to remember you by after spending time with their favorite family member.
Chicken, as you know, is a healthy source of protein, which helps build muscles in growing pups. But, did you know that chicken also helps control the levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that can cause cardiovascular disease, in your dog’s body? Chicken also helps promote a healthy weight, bones and teeth. Chicken is also a vital part of eye health and mental health for your pooch.
The best part about these treats? Both dogs and cats can enjoy them in moderation!
Recipe courtesy of dogtreatkitchen.com
- Chicken Breast Fillets
- Preheat oven to 200 ° F
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray
- Rinse off chicken breasts and remove any fat
- Slice the chicken with the grain to help make the jerky chewier; the slices should be very thin, about 1/8” to 1/4” in thickness
- Place your strips on the baking sheet
- Bake for two hours; the jerky should be firm and dry, not soft or spongy, if you are unsure, it’s safer to go drier and firmer than for the meat to be underdone
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack until completely cool
- Cut strips into bite-sized pieces using a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors
- These dog treats can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three weeks or frozen for up to 8 months.
Have a recipe you love and want to share? Send it our way to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make you part of our #FeedMeFriday posts. Until next week, Paws Up!